Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Lect 1 - CS3216 Intro (090112)

Preamble:Well, this is my first experience blogging consistently for a module, and what can I say? Its going to be a challenge to keep my comments only to the lectures.

Ramble: I love to write, and I love to ramble and go on to different tangents, but for this blog I shall try to rein in my excesses and segregate the pesky irrelevent subjects that pop up now and then to the bottom end of the post. With a clear and definite line.

1st lect comments: The first class of CS3216 was definitely an experience...its the first module where I can get to try out laser guns, eat homemade candy and meatballs, and yell "Hello! I'm hungry, do you all want to go eat?" to classmates I've just known for 2 hours and end up talking in Fong Seng till 10+pm. Got take picture s'more. Ahem who has the picture ah? Can upload?

Why I joined this module: I joined the module because I thought it would be fun, and different. I'm very sick of modules where everyone's quiet when the teacher asks a question, I'm sick of modules where people just don't speak up because they are too afraid of their opinion being heard, and I'm sick of modules where you know perfectly well the people are intelligent but they are just not opening their mouths. Okay, yeah, sorry for the repetition, but you get my point.

So far, I haven't been disappointed. The module's got really interesting students, students who want to make a difference to the world, with a whole repetoire of skills and passions. I really enjoyed the show and tell session and my favorite part of the module so far it to meet and talk to all these great people who are classmates of mine. I Which brings me to my next point -

What I want to do with my life: Honestly, I have no idea. Some glimmers here and there, but no concrete single all-consuming passion. It sort of sucks to listen to everyone's dreams and then have none to share, you feel sort of lousy inside.

But come to think of it, I think I don't have dreams because my dreams seem so unrealistic that I don't think they are possible.

Dream 1: For example, I want to steer clear from 9-5 jobs and just spend all my time on creative work, like drawing comics, making gifts, and cooking. I just love creating things like with my secondary school bag that I brought for show and tell... I just have no idea how to live off that.

Dream 2: When I was in secondary school I wanted to come up with my own brand of clothes/bags and stuff, because I like drawing characters..You know, that kind of brand that's centered around a cartoon character one.. But it just seemed so impossible.. >_<

Dream 3: I always had this dream of making an RPG. Probably coz FF7 made such a huge impact on my life - it started me drawing fanart and writing fanfiction. It'll be so cool to create a character that excites people, that people can identify with, and the people will love to cosplay... It'll be so cool to write a story that people will remember for life, that is important to people. To touch people with words and brand their minds forever with the memory of my sentences...That's why I like literature so much too...literature talks about the important stuff in life....^_^

Dream 4: Break new ground in comics. Or more like make my own lasting statement in the comic industry. Not sure what I can do to reach that goal yet, but I'm experimenting with interactive comics after being inspired by NM3222 interactive storytelling...

Anyways, now I'm trying to see if freelance web designing works for me as a career, so I just started learning HTML and am hoping to pick up CSS and etc from the sat workshops! Meanwhile I'll be churning out some short comics at my deviantart account here and am working on a some art pieces for an artbook with some other artist wannabes...if things go according to schedule, it'll be self-published in about August thereabouts.. ^_^

Well, I hope by the end of this module, I'll learn to be more confident in my skills and in achieving my dreams!

_______________________________________________________________

Side note and rant, not relevant to module:

I'd initially set up this blog at Wordpress, but due to severe technical difficulties I decided to return to blogger instead.

This is my first post at mannie3216.wordpress.com (a.k.a. wordpress complaints):

I'm flabbergasted at how frustrating the wordpress user interface is NOW. I used wordpress a year or so back, and as far as I remember, had no difficulties in using it whatsover.

Encountering wordpress again to start up this blog, I'd thought it'll be easy. The utter frustration at finding the delete button for the first post that Wordpress forced upon my new blog took me more than 15 minutes, and lots of searching on google.

The interface is horrible. Common sense should have made wordpress include a link to the support site, or at least give a brief how-to on that first post. Unfortunately, the link to the support page blended in nicely with the background on the bottom of the user admin site, a search for delete post on the support forum came up with unrelated results, and after much stress I found the correct link that taught me how to click on the edit button under the category of posts, check the check box next to the post, and then scroll down a scroll bar to find the delete link.

Not to mention I just saw a perfectly fine delete button right on this page without going to all that trouble, staring right at me in very small red letters just to the right of this text box. I am honestly ready to scream - I chose wordpress because I've heard how good it can be, and now it is proving itself otherwise.

If by tonight I'm unable to post a picture and a video on this site, just to test it, I will change a new blogging site.

Picture Test - (This did not appear on the Wordpress site)

This is a picture of me dancing during Chingay 2008. I'd designed the costume so I was rather proud to wear it..hurhur... Its a long story, ask me if you want to know...or search Kronos+rag in google ^_^





Video Test (This did not appear on Wordpress site either..)



A friend showed me this video recently, and I found it hilarious, so I thought I'll share it. Its a parody of Final Fantasy 7, a really old RPG game, and the first proper game that I played...(discounting five stones, tic tac toe, zi go ba, and the national education game they made everyone play in primary school..)

It reminds me of this course - something cool, fun, and innovative done by students with a passion. ^_^



No comments:

Post a Comment